The Westfield Police Department was awarded law enforcement accreditation from the New Jersey State Association of Chiefs of Police (NJSACOP) on March 11, 2021.
Law enforcement accreditation is a progressive and time-proven method of assisting law enforcement agencies to calculate and improve their overall performance. The foundation of law enforcement accreditation lies in the adoption of standards that contain a clear statement of professional objectives.
Participating law enforcement agencies conduct a thorough self-analysis to determine how their existing operations can be adapted to meet these standards and objectives, which reflect professional “best practices.” Once the procedures are in place, a team of trained, independent assessors then verify that the applicable standards have been successfully implemented.
Law enforcement accreditation will represent a very significant achievement for the Westfield Police Department. It will acknowledge the Westfield Police Department has implemented policies and procedures that are conceptually sound and operationally effective.
This is the very first time in the Westfield Police Department’s history that it has achieved such an honor and been awarded this mark of excellence.
Benefits of law enforcement accreditation will include the following:
It will provide an objective confirmation of the Westfield Police Department’s commitment to excellence in leadership, resource management and police service to the community;
- It will provide the Town of Westfield’s governing body with confidence in the Westfield Police Department’s ability to operate efficiently;
- It will enhance the Westfield Police Department’s community-oriented policing model;
- It will better defend the Westfield Police Department and Town of Westfield against lawsuits and citizen complaints;
- It will provide the Chief of Police with an approved management system for the Westfield Police Department;
- It will result in discounts in insurance premiums paid by the Town of Westfield to the Suburban Municipal Joint Insurance Fund;
- It will acknowledge the Westfield Police Department as being one of the best-trained and most professional law enforcement agencies in the State of New Jersey.