Westfield is Getting Greener
It's important, but it’s not always easy, being green. Environmentally-friendly changes can add big costs to small business owners’ already tight bottom line. But that hasn't stopped more than 30 local businesses who earned their Green Team 2019 medallion for taking sustainable actions.
Westfield businesses' desire to be more eco-friendly was helped along this past year by a group of volunteer Westfield representatives and residents who work with the Mayor and Town Council, called the Green Team. They identified environmentally sustainable steps that are do-able for many small businesses— and using these recommendations, many downtown Westfield businesses have succeeded in being greener. By avoiding plastic packaging and utensils, using cardboard take out containers, composting and providing water refill stations, among other actions— they have initiated changes that are making a positive impact.
Keep your eye out for reusable shopping bags and medallions awarded by the Westfield Green Team to the businesses that are making it a priority to be green.
As the Green Westfield Medallion Program grows, more and more businesses are participating. Learn how small changes are making a big difference in our community. https://www.westfieldnj.gov/medallion.
AR Workshop Westfield | Patricia & Paul Artisans of Fine Oils and Balsamics | Midtown Authentic | The Farmhouse Store | Westfield Service League | Galleria-West | JackRabbit Westfield | TheChocolatebar | Jag-ONE Physical Therapy (Westfield) | Boxwood Coffee Roasters | Westfield Health and Rehab Acupuncture | 16 Prospect Wine Bar & Bistro | The Bar MethodWestfield | Bovella's Pastry Shoppe | Evalyn Dunn Gallery | Feast Catering of Westfield | The French Martini | Golden Bee Antiques | The Hope Chest | Manhattan Bagel | Midas of Westfield | OCEAN ORTHODONTICS&PediatricDentistry | Ono Bowls | Outta Hand Pizza | Round Table Wealth Management | SavorySpice | The Town Book Store | SOLE Shoes | Westfield Fitness Studio |
As the Green Westfield Medallion Program grows more and more businesses are participating. Learn how small changes are making a big difference in our community. https://www.westfieldnj.gov/medallion.
Food Business Actions
- Compost Food Waste
- Offer reusable utensils, plates, etc instead of one-time use plastic
- Ask customers if they need utensils instead of just supplying them
- Use recyclable take-out containers
- Use paper/cardboard take-out containers
- Accept refillable containers the shopper has brought
- Let shopper request straws/lids/stirrers instead of automatically providing
- Use paper or bamboo straws
- Use non-plastic tasting spoons or cups
Any Business Actions
- Use paper or reusable bags
- Ask customers if they want a bag instead of automatically providing
- Charge a small fee for a single-use plastic bag
- Sell up-cycled goods (e.g. The Service League Store)
- Provide a water bottle refill station
- Have an energy audit for your business
- Convert to LED lighting
- Use recycled or up-cycled furniture, lighting, etc in your business
2019 Westfield Medallion Winners
Westfield Service League Thrift & Consignment Shop
The Chocolate Bar
JagOne Physical Therapy
Westfield Health & Rehab
AR Workshop Westfield
The Bar Method
Bovella's Pastry Shoppe
Evelyn Dunn Gallery
The Farmhouse Store
Feast Catering *& Cafe
The French Martini
Golden Bee Antiques
The Hope Chest Thrift Store
Oceans Orthodontics & Pediatric Dentistry
Outta Hand Pizza
Patricia and Paul's Fine Oils and Balsamics
Round Table Wealth Management
The Town Bookstore
The Town of Westfield is a proud participant in SUSTAINABLE JERSEY™.