If anyone deserves a virtual high five, it’s the teachers who’ve stayed connected with creative new ways to teach kids virtually. Teacher Appreciation Week, May 4 to 8, will look much different this year, but there are easy ways to give thanks from afar. Your teachers will appreciate you thinking of them now more than ever.
- Make it personal. A note of thanks from your child naming one thing they like about their teacher or their class is a sure bet. Or take a photo of your child with a hand-drawn or chalk art thank you sign.
- Art projects, such as a care package or DIY Rainbow Mini String Art Kit from AR Workshop ($25 and up), could be the perfect way for crafty kids to honor a favorite teacher.
- Just Bead Yourself Stay Safe Unity Bracelet Kit ($20) has two bracelets, 25% Donation, and StaySafe Gift tag to dedicate your bracelet for someone you appreciate! Order call or text 908.456.5623.
- For the teacher who ignites your child’s curiosity, scented candles are the perfect gift. Farinolio has a choice of three candles with Italian fragrances of Arancia (orange), Olio d’Oliva (olive oil), and Limoncello (Italian lemon liquor) for $16. Find Magnolia Home by Joanna Gaines fragrances with six inspiring scents in soaps, lotions, candles, diffusers, and room sprays at The Farmhouse Store, call at 908.654.0444 option #4. The D. Harris TFM “Elm Street” candle, $40, from The French Martini Shop, will be a sweet reminder of your admiration. Send a note to your teacher that their gift is ready — all products can be safely locally delivered.
- Offer a bit of stress relief with roller and oil from The Oils Room with gift wrapping and local delivery available, 908.301.6685. A gift certificate delivered by email for a streamed yoga class could do the trick from Brassy Buddha Yoga or Satsang Yoga Studios.
- If you are the organizing type, you can edit together photos or videos from the class to make a presentation to the teacher. Video each kid singing one line of a song, or have them hold up a sign with one word of a message. Take up a Venmo class collection for a flower arrangement from Green Room Floral Design, 908.518.0400, or a gift card for coffee, lunch, or dinner from any of downtown Westfield’s incredible restaurants. Gift cards to downtown restaurants can be safely picked up, delivered, or emailed.
A show of appreciation will be a ray of sunshine for your teachers during this challenging quarantine.