The Downtown Westfield Corporation (DWC) is pleased to announce that it has been awarded a grant of $72,530 from the Main Street New Jersey Covid-19 Relief Program. These funds will provide comprehensive COVID-19 relief to the downtown commercial district and to the greater Westfield community through a targeted campaign to bring shoppers downtown during the 2020 holiday season. Additionally, the grant award will assist the DWC in coordinating a long-term plan to fill any vacancies resulting from COVID-19.
“We are both excited and grateful to receive this grant award,” said Bob Zuckerman, Executive Director of the DWC. “It will give us the ability to make a real difference for our merchants during the holiday season and for our entire district heading into 2021.” The grant will cover the following initiatives that the DWC has undertaken or will commence over the next two months:
- Launch of a Downtown Ambassador Program to promote holiday season shopping.
- Purchase of 2,000 disposable masks for distribution to the general public.
- Purchase and distribution of 3,000 reusable, branded canvas bags.
- Rent for use of the former Ann Taylor space for a Holiday Downtown Visitors Center.
- Coordination of free delivery services for all downtown merchants through DeliveryNow.com.
- Holiday Season printed gift guides and maps to distribute through ambassadors, select merchants, and at our Visitors Center.
- Beautification of downtown parklets.
- A contract with MJB Consulting to perform a detailed retail market study which the DWC will use to fill vacancies and improve retail mix.
“This grant will give the DWC the resources we need to assist our merchants during this challenging time for our economy as a result of COVID-19,” said Bob Zuckerman. “We’re ready to hit the ground running to bring these worthwhile initiatives to fruition on behalf of all the great businesses within the DWC.”